Header
  
Maidstone
 

Maidstone, St Paul (Old Church)


Photo: David Cawley

  • Church demolished, formerly 5 bells chimed, 8-0-23
  • Grid Ref: TQ764569
  • Rung from: Don't know / not applicable
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone


Prior to removal in 1971

Bell Weight
(most recent)*
DiameterDateFounderFate
Treble4-1-2627"1901Mears & StainbankRemoved 1971. Transferred to Wighton 1980.
2nd4-3-2528⅞"1901Mears & StainbankRemoved 1971. Transferred to Wighton 1980.
3rd5-0-2029¾"1901Mears & StainbankRemoved 1971. Transferred to Wighton 1980.
4th6-0-032"1901Mears & StainbankRemoved 1971. Transferred to Wighton 1980.
Tenor8-0-2335½"1901Mears & StainbankRemoved 1971. Transferred to Wighton 1980.

* Source of weight figures: Alfred Bowell notebook

Prior to 1901 there was 1 bell

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderFate
Service Bell3½ cwt approx.29½"1860Naylor Vickers & Co.Probably scrapped in 1901

History

1859 Church built.
1861 Church consecrated.
1900 Chime of 5 cast and hung in the church by Mears & Stainbank.
1963 Church burnt down.
1971 Church declared redundant on 11th Feb. Bells removed from the church, originally to recast into a light six for the tower of the new church.
1980 Bells sold to Wighton, Norfolk where they were tuned and augmented with a treble.

Gallery



Photo:

The church was finally demolished in 1970.
Photo: David Cawley

Two of the bells hanging dead in their frame in the tower.
Photo: David Cawley

This was the state of the church shortly after the fire in 1963.
Photo: David Cawley

The tenor.
Photo: David Cawley


Photo: David Cawley


Photo: David Cawley

All Saints, Wighton, Norfolk
Photo: Dickon Love


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 28 March 2020