Broomfield, St Margaret

Photo: Richard Offen, 2005

  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 3-3-2 in C♯
  • Grid Ref: TQ839524
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Frame: c. 1880 Mears & Stainbank. Extended in oak by Chris Saunders in 2015.
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Maidstone
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 2-1-9 21" A♯ 2016 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Flat Never
    ® 2 2-1-19 22" G♯ 2014 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Flat Never
    ® 3 2-2-4 23" F♯ 1898 John Warner & Sons Conventional
    ® 4 3-1-3 25⅝" E♯ Unknown Conventional
    ® 5 3-2-13 26¾" D♯ 1663 William Hatch Conventional
    ® Tenor 3-3-2 27⁷⁄₁₆" C♯ 1879 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Conventional

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Position Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    Lower tier 1 4,5,6 1880 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Timber 3.1
    Upper tier 2 1,2,3 2015 Local Timber
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    How the bells are tuned

    Prior to 1879

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Date Founder Retuned Fate
    Tenor (of 3) 3-3-19 1579 Anthony Wakefield Never Recast 1879
    History

    c1450 Present 4th cast.
    1579 Former tenor cast, founder thought to be A. Wakefield.
    1663 Present 5th cast.
    1799 Hasted makes no mention of bells. [1]
    1879 Tenor recast by Mears & Stainbank.
    1880 Bells rehung in a new timber frame by Mears & Stainbank.
    2015 The ring of 3 was augmented with two trebles by John Taylor & Co. The treble was a newly cast bell, while the 2nd came from Ewood Park, Blackburn, having been donated by the Keltek Trust. The complete new section of Frame was a gift from the parish with donations to cover the cost of the oak needed coming from residents who wanted to help the project be completed and was constructed by Chris Saunders over several months in prefabricated form before being installed.
    2016 The ring of 5 was augmented to 6 with the addition of a new treble.

    [1] No mention of bells.' (''The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 8', Edward Hasted)
    Videos

    Gallery


    The belfry before the ring of 3 was augmented.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, 2000

    The bells are rung from the ground floor just inside the west door.
    Photo: Dickon R Love, 2017

    Page updated: 15 April 2020