Brookland, St Augustine

Photo: Richard Offen, 2005

  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 8-2-0 in A
  • Grid Ref: TQ989258
  • Rung from: Ground Floor in Detached Tower
  • Frame: 1973 Whitechapel Bell Foundry, made of timber
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Ashford
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Ashford
  • Building Listed Grade: I Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Sound clip of the ring of bells.(c. 1979)

    Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 4-0-22 26½" F♯ 1973 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® 2 4-3-10 28½" E 1973 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® 3 6-0-8 31" D 1685 John Hodson, Whitechapel Conventional 1973 Whitechapel
    ® 4 6-3-13 32½" C♯ 1685 John Hodson, Whitechapel Conventional 1973 Whitechapel
    ® 5 7-3-25 34⁷⁄₁₆" B William Chamberlain Conventional 1973 Whitechapel
    ® Tenor 8-2-0 36⁹⁄₁₆" A 1685 John Hodson, Whitechapel Conventional 1973 Whitechapel

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1973 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Iroko
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    Prior to 1973

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Date Founder Retuned Fate
    5th (of 5) 12-0-0 41" 1685 John Hodson Never Recast into 2 trebles, 1973
    History

    1440 Present 5th cast.
    1552 Record of 4 bells in the tower. [1]
    1685 4 bells cast by John Hodson forming bells 1,2,4,5 of a five around the Jordan bell. The frame was evidently for 6 bells.
    1799 Record of 5 bells in a bellframe for more. [2]
    1973 New ring formulated out of the old anticlockwise bells using the 4th as the tenor and adding 2 trebles. Rehung clockwise and retuned by Whitechapel.

    [1] Item in the steple iiij small bells, and in the church one warning bell, one hand bell, and one sacringe bell.' ('Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
    [2] The church, which is dedicated to St. Augustine, is a very large handsome building, consisting of three isles and three chancels. The steeple stands on the north side, and at some small distance from it, in which are five bells. The steeple is framed of remarkable large timber. It is built entirely of wood, of an octagon form, perpendicular about five feet from the bottom, and from thence leffening to a spire at top, in which it has three different copartments or stories, the two uppermost larger at the bottom, and projecting over those underneath them. Although there are but five bells in it, yet it has frames for several more. The whole is much out of the perpendicular leaning towards the church.' (''The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 8', Edward Hasted)
    Literary collection

  • "St Augustine, Brookland, Kent", Cawley, David L (The Ringing World) 29 March 1974
  • Gallery


    The ringing room.
    Photo: Dickon Love

    Page updated: 1 April 2016