Untitled Document
  
Hawkhurst
 

Hawkhurst, All Saints


Prior to removal in 1997

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Weight
(After tuning after transfer)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble5-2-55-2-1229"1861George Mears & Co.NeverTransferred to Wittersham as 2 (of 8)
2nd6-1-16-1-031⁷⁄₁₆"1861George Mears & Co.NeverTransferred to St John's RC, Limerick as 2 (of 4)
Tenor6-1-23 33¼"1861George Mears & Co.NeverWent to Eastry by mistake

History

1861 3 bells cast by George Mears & Co at a total cost of £200.7s.11d. Tenor weighed as 6-1-23.
1990 5th Oct Church declared redundant.
1997 Bells removed and put into storage. The treble went to Wittersham to augment their ring to 8. The tenor went to Eastry, although a mistake was made and at the time this was believed to be the 2nd.
1999 What was thought to be the tenor (but was the 2nd) was donated to Waltham to be broken up and the metal used for casting their additional bells. The church elected to sell it to the Kelteck Trust.
2002 The Keltek bell was on offer to All Saints, Normanton, W Yorks to augment their bells. This was abandoned and was offered to St John's RC Cathedral, Limerick (tuned at Whitechapel) as the 2nd of a chime of 4 (reweighed at 6-1-0, tuned to 5-3-3).
2005 The fact that Eastry was actually in possession of the tenor was discovered when the tuning figures were measured. Kelteck (and therefore Limerick) had received the 2nd by mistake. The tenor was found to be unsuitable for Eastry!

Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016