Header
  
Milstead
 

Milstead, St Mary


Photo: Richard C Offen, Mar 2006

  • 3 bells hung dead and chimed with Ellacombe hammers
  • Tenor: 6 cwt approx. in F♯.
  • Formerly ring of 3. Hung for stationary chiming.
  • Grid Ref: TQ903588
  • 1,3,4 of a 4.
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Frame: c. 1880 Samuel Snelling
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
1 3½ cwt approx.25⅝" C♯ 1730 Richard Phelps, Whitechapel1999 Whitechapel
2 5 cwt approx.27⅝" D♯ UnknownNever
3 6 cwt approx.30¾" F♯ William ChamberlainNever

 - Hung dead

Inscriptions

History

c 1350 14th Cent. Middle bell cast by an unknown founder.
c 1440 Tenor cast by William Chamberlain.
1730 Treble cast (or recast) by Richard Phelps.
1798 Hasted noted 3 bells in the tower. [1]
1887 Stahlschmidt notes the 3 bells. He (mistakenly) ascribes the 2nd and tenor to Henry Jordan.
1991 Whitechapel quoted for rehanging for either swing or stationary chiming.
1998 Whitechapel re-quoted and added an estimate for a basic restoration for ringing order. Nick Davies, then the Diocesan Consultant sought in vain to persuade the PCC to adopt this course.
1999 Bells rehung by Whitechapel with new fittings for stationary chiming in the existing frame.
[1] The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary and the Holy Cross is but small, and consists of one isle and one chancel, with a low square tower at the west end of it, in which hang three bells. (The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 6.', Edward Hasted)



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 30 March 2020