Wilmington, St Michael

Photo: Dickon Love, 31st Oct 2010

  • 3 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 6 cwt approx. in A♯
  • Grid Ref: TQ538724
  • Rung from: Ground floor
  • Frame: 1893 John Warner & Sons
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Rochester
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Lewisham
  • Building Listed Grade: I Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 4½ cwt approx. 28½" C♯ 1618 William Land II Conventional Never
    ® 2 5 cwt approx. 30" B♯ 1685 Christopher Hodson, Whitechapel Conventional Never
    ® Tenor 6 cwt approx. 32" A♯ 1893 John Warner & Sons Conventional Never

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1893 John Warner & Sons Timber 3.1
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    How the bells are tuned

    Earlier bell

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Date Founder Retuned Fate
    3 (of 3) 6 cwt approx. 31.5" 1636 William Land II Never Recast 1893
    History

    1552 Record of 4 bells in the tower. [1]
    1618 Present treble cast by William Land II.
    1636 Tenor cast by William Land II (according to Stahlschmidt).
    1685 Present middle bell cast by Christopher Hodson.
    1774 Record of only 3 bells in the tower (according to Stahlschmidt).
    1797 Record of 3 bells in the tower. [2]
    1893 Tenor recast by Warner & Sons when it is assumed that they rehung the bells in the present timber frame. The old inscription was reproduced on the bell, but with the year 1656 rather than 1636: the bell is more likely to have been cast in 1636.
    1981 New ropes were provided, according to a plaque in the church. It also looks as if the frame was strengthened and wheels/fittings patched up at some point since Warner's did their work. Investigations are taking place to pin down when this work was done.

    [1] Item iiij bells suted of brasse in the Steple One procession bell and a saints bell of brasse presented to be stllen.' ('Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
    [2] The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and consists of one isle and a chancel, having a spire steeple at the west end, which standing on the knoll of the hill, is an object for many miles round. There are three bells in it.' (''The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 2', Edward Hasted)
    Gallery


    Tenor
    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010

    2nd
    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010


    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010


    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010

    2nd
    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010

    Treble
    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010


    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010


    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010


    Photo: Dickon Love, 2010

    Page updated: 1 April 2016