Header
  
Keston
 

Keston, Parish Church


  • 6 bells hung dead with clavier chime plus a service bell
  • Tenor: 2¼ cwt approx. in G.
  • Grid Ref: TQ414646
  • Rung from: Don't know / not applicable
  • Diocese: Rochester

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
1 ½ cwt approx.13¼" F♯ 1888 Thomas Christopher Lewis, BrixtonNever
2 ¾ cwt approx.14½" E 1888 Thomas Christopher Lewis, BrixtonNever
3 1 cwt approx.16⅛" D 1888 Thomas Christopher Lewis, BrixtonNever
4 1¼ cwt approx.17⅛" C♯ 1888 Thomas Christopher Lewis, BrixtonNever
5 1¾ cwt approx.19⅛" B 1888 Thomas Christopher Lewis, BrixtonNever
6 2¼ cwt approx.21³⁄₁₆" A 1888 Thomas Christopher Lewis, BrixtonNever
Service bell 2 cwt approx.22" G 1621 Thomas Bartlett, WhitechapelNever

Inscriptions

History

1552 Record of 2 small bells. [1]
1621 Bell cast by Thomas Bartlett.
1887 Stahlschmidt recorded one bell.
1888 A chime of 6 small bells provided by T.C.Lewis of Brixton, complete with frame at a cost of £105, presented by Lady Derby of Holwood. These were his last bells.
1998 The Kent County Association helped adjust the weights on the balanced hammers so that the keys on the console return correctly. The chime of six all have flange (or "button") heads with centre holes, through which passes a single large securing bolt, fixing the bells to the oak frame. There is an unusual clavier, with a mixture of iron and wooden trackers up to the ellacombe type hammers (wooden rods with iron heads), rather like the trackers of an organ (T. C. Lewis was an organ builder).
[1] Item ij small bells of brasse suted in the steple on handbell of brasse and one smale sacryng bell. (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)

Gallery


Postcard dated 1907.
Photo: David Cawley collection


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 28 March 2020