Untitled Document
  
Deptford
 

Deptford, St Luke


  • 8 bells hung dead with clavier chime
  • Tenor: 3-1-19 in F.
  • Grid Ref: TQ366780
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: 2 beam girder frame
  • Diocese: Southwark
  • Building Listed Grade: . Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
8 3-1-1925" F 1932 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never
7 2-1-1222¼" G 1932 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never
6 1-2-2120" A 1932 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never
5 1-1-21½19" B♭ 1932 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never
4 1-0-1016⅞" C 1932 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never
3 0-2-2615⅛" D 1932 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never
2 0-2-613⅝" E 1932 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never
1 0-2-313¼" F 1932 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Never

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

Prior to 1932

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble1876John Warner & SonsNeverChiming hemispherical bell. Recast in 1932.
21876John Warner & SonsNeverChiming hemispherical bell. Recast in 1932.
31876John Warner & SonsNeverChiming hemispherical bell. Recast in 1932.
41876John Warner & SonsNeverChiming hemispherical bell. Recast in 1932.
51876John Warner & SonsNeverChiming hemispherical bell. Recast in 1932.
61876John Warner & SonsNeverChiming hemispherical bell. Recast in 1932.
71876John Warner & SonsNeverChiming hemispherical bell. Recast in 1932.
Tenor1876John Warner & SonsNeverChiming hemispherical bell. Recast in 1932.

History

1867 The first services were held in the parish.
1870 19th July Foundation stone laid. Church built by T H Watson, architect.
1872 The church was consecrated on 30th July. 8 hemispherical bells were cast and hung in the central tower by John Warner at a cost of £320.
1873 Parish created from that of St Nicholas, Deptford.
1876 A set of 8 hemispherical bells were cast and hung in the central tower by John Warner at a cost of £320.
1877 6 or 13th Jan. Bells dedicated. William Haley from Warners played tunes on the bells at the opening ceremony from a temporary chiming manual set up in the body of the church below the tower.
1932 The present chime of 8 bells were installed by Gillett & Johnston who took the 'gongs' in part payment.


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016