Header
  
Monks Horton
 

Monks Horton, St Peter


Photo: Richard Offen, Mar 2004

  • 3 bells hung for swing chiming with levers in open gable
  • Tenor: 3 cwt approx.
  • Formerly ring of 4, 9-0-26. Scrapped and replaced with 3 small chiming bells.
  • Grid Ref: TR124046
  • Rung from: Don't know / not applicable
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Ashford
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
҂ 1 2¾ cwt approx.21" 1847 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
҂ 2 3 cwt approx.23" 1847 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever
҂ Sanctus ½ cwt approx.13" 1847 Charles & George Mears, WhitechapelNever

҂  - Hung for swing chiming

Inscriptions

Prior to 1847.

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DateFounderRetunedFate
Treble5-0-111631John WilnarNever
2nd6-0-161631John WilnarNever
3rd7-2-01631John WilnarNever
Tenor9-0-261618Joseph HatchNever

History

1552 Record of 3 bells. [1]
1618 Bell cast by Joseph Hatch.
1631 3 trebles cast (or recast) by John Wilnar.
1799 Record of 4 bells in the tower. [2]
1847 Wooden tower pulled down. The 4 bells were sold and a chime of 3 erected in the gable end.
1995 The west end bell cote was repaired and the 3 bells were rehung by the KCACR.
[1] Item iij bells in the steple (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
[2] The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, is but a small building, consisting of one isle and one chancel, having a low pointed turret at the west end, in which are four bells. ('The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 8', Edward Hasted)

Gallery


The 3 bells in the gable end.
Photo: Richard Offen, Mar 2004

The tenor.
Photo: Richard Offen, Mar 2004

The treble.
Photo: Richard Offen, Mar 2004

The 2nd.
Photo: Richard Offen, Mar 2004

How the church looked in 1807 with its tower.
Photo:


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 30 March 2020