Header
  
Monkton
 

Monkton, St Mary Magdalene


Photo: Richard Offen, 2007

  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 7-0-9 in A.
  • Grid Ref: TR278652
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: 1911 John Taylor & Co. with additional steel framework by John Taylor in 2018.
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: I Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)*

(As received JT 2012)

(As dispatched G&J 1938)
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
® Treble 2-3-1724" F♯ 1961 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Flat 2018 John Taylor & Co
® 2 3-2-73-2-1326⅛" E 1938 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon Flat 2018 John Taylor & Co
® 4 3-1-2227¼" D 1633 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Removed 1911 John Taylor & Co
® 5 3-2-1328½" C♯ 1661 Thomas Palmar I Removed Never
® 6 5-0-332" B 1615 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Removed 1911 John Taylor & Co
® Tenor 7-0-97-2-2034¹⁄₁₆" A 1880 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Removed 2013 John Taylor & Co.

* Source of weight figures: John Taylor & Co (2014, 2018)
®  - Hung for full circle ringing

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

The missing tenor.

Bell DateFounderRetunedFate
Tenor1661Thomas Palmar IINeverScrapped in the 19th Cent and pit left empty until 2014

History

1615 3rd (of 4) cast by Joseph Hatch.
1633 Treble (of 4) cast by Joseph Hatch.
1661 2nd and tenor (of 4) cast by Thomas Palmar. The tenor has since disappeared.
1800 Record of 4 bells in the tower. [1]
1875 At around this time the 1661 tenor was scrapped.
1911 The bells were tuned and rehung in a new iron frame by John Taylor for 4 bells. (Job completed 18th February.)
2014 A bell, which was the 3rd of a ring of six at Sandiacre, was acquired in September 2012 as that ring was remodelled in 2013. A deposit was paid to John Taylor & Co by a member of the KCACR who had known Monkton well for over 40 years and had vowed to see the 4th pit filled. A generous parishioner paid the balance. The remaining funds were raised by local effort assisted by the KCACR. The headstock and clapper came from St Mary, Pulborough, Sussex, where a bell was being recast. The bell arrived in Monkton on 18th January, and was dedicated by the Bishop of Dover on 9th February 2014. The service included a short organ premiere based on the new tenor inscription "Once More We're Four". A new inscription was attached to the bell using epoxy resin.
2015 David Cawley received a phone call in August which alerted him to the sale of the old bell from Holy Cross Convent, Broadstairs. He bought it on the spot and realised that it was only a few cents away from being a suitable 2nd for a tuture ring of six. Brian White collected the bell and Taylors in turn collected it from him.
2018 2 trebles were added to make up the ring to six, placed in additional framework by John Taylor & Co, Loughborough. Both bells were second hand. The treble was from East Budleigh, Devon (the former 2nd of 8) while the 2nd came from Holy Cross Convent, Broadstairs. The words MEARS LONDON and AVE MARIA were turned from the treble and 2nd respectively when the bells were tuned, to allow room for the new inscriptions. The treble was given by Pat Phipps while the 2nd was given by David Cawley. The new bells were dedicated on Sunday 25 November and hanging commenced thereafter by the Kent CACR.
[1] The church, which is exempted from the archdeacon, is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen; it consists at present of only one isle and one chancel, having a square tower at the west end, in which is a very antient spiral staircase of wood. There are four bells in it. The body of it was antiently larger than it is now, consisting of two isles, part of the end of the north isle being still to be seen, and the arches between the two isles still remaining in the wall; at present it consists of but one isle and a chancel. ('The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 10', Edward Hasted)

Gallery


The "new" tenor, in 2014.
Photo: David Cawley

The frame in 2014 awaiting the "new" tenor.
Photo: David Cawley

The empty pit in the 1911 frame is painted ready for the "new" tenor
Photo: David Cawley

The new treble of 6, given by Pat Phipps.
Photo: David Cawley, 2018

The new 2nd of 6, given by David Cawley.
Photo: David Cawley, 2018
Recent Quarter Peals
The most recent performances, according to BellBoard.
2019-09-141260 Doubles (3m)
2018-07-041260 Minimus (2m)
2017-07-031272 Minimus (6m)
2015-05-301272 Plain Bob Minimus
2015-04-081272 Minimus (2m)
2011-10-011260 Original Singles
Full list of peals on Bellboard here
Full list of quarters on Bellboard here


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 28 March 2020