Header
  
Preston-next-Faversham
 

Preston-next-Faversham, St Catherine


Photo: Richard Offen, 2006

  • 3 bells hung for full circle ringing but swing chimed
  • Tenor: 2½ cwt approx. in F.
  • Grid Ref: TR016607
  • Frame: 1853 Deal frame for 6 bells on 3 levels
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
® 1 1¾ cwt approx.19¾" A 1853 John Warner & Sons Conventional Never
® 2 2¼ cwt approx.21⅝" F♯ 1575 Robert Doddes Conventional Never
® 3 2½ cwt approx.24⅝" F 1725 Unknown Conventional Never

®  - Hung for full circle ringing

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

History

1575 Present middle bell cast.
1725 Present tenor cast.
1853 Present treble cast. Bells rehung in a new deal frame for 6 on 3 levels. Bell chamber rebuilt.
1868 New spire added.
1968 New ringing ropes were put on the bells and the bells were rung full circle once or twice at this time. They are currently unringable.

Gallery


The treble bell by John Warner - their earliest known work in Kent.
Photo: David Cawley, Mar 1972

2nd, thought to be by Roberts Doddes of Whitechapel
Photo: David Cawley, Mar 1972

The tenor. This second hand bell hangs in 18th Cent fittings in a frame of 1853. Notice the tuning marks in the sound bow to flatten the harmonics.
Photo: David Cawley, Mar 1972


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016