Hoath, Holy Cross

Photo: Richard Offen, 2005

  • 3 bells hung for full circle ringing but unringable
  • Tenor: 4¾ cwt approx. in C
  • Grid Ref: TR203641
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® 1 2¾ cwt approx. 23" D 1696 John Wood Conventional
    ® 2 3½ cwt approx. 25½" C♯ Richard Kerner Conventional
    ® 3 4¾ cwt approx. 29.½" C 1696 John Wood Conventional

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Inscriptions on the Bells

    History

    1303 Church built, originally dedicated to the "Holy Virgin and Holy Spirit".
    c1530 A bell was cast by Richard Kerner (later middle of 3).
    1696 2 bells cast or recast (treble and tenor of 3).
    1760 Record of 3 bells in the tower. [1]
    1842 Church repaired.
    1887 Stahlschmidt noted the 3 bells, but quoted the dedication of the church as St Mary the Virgin and the Holy Trinity.

    [1] This Church consists only of The Chancell and Body. The Steeple stands at the West End; in it hang 3 Bells without Inscription.' ('Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1760)

    Page updated: 28 March 2020