Untitled Document
  
Buckland-in-Dover
 

Buckland-in-Dover, St Andrew


  • 6 bells hung dead and chimed with Ellacombe hammers
  • Tenor: 2-3-27 in E.
  • Grid Ref: TR305426
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Diocese: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II*. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Weight
(Prior to retuning)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
6 2-3-2724¾" E 1971 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Never
5 2-1-62-1-1222⅜" F♯ 1450-60 William Chamberlain 1971 Whitechapel
4 1-3-1420¾" G♯ 1971 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Never
3 1-2-1520" A 1971 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Never
2 1-0-1917½" B 1971 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Never
1 0-3-615½" C♯ 1971 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Never

Inscriptions

History

c 1450 -60 Bell cast by William Chamberlain.
1683 Tenor (re)cast by John Hodson of St Mary Cray.
1759 Record of 3 bells in the tower. [1]
1784 Present 4th (re)cast by Robert Catlin of Holborn.
1851 The 3 bells were rehung in stone gable end.
1854 A bell was cast for the frigate "Earl of Eglinton".
1859 The "Earl of Eglinton" bell was purchased by the churchwardens from the wreck of the frigate in St Margaret's Bay. It was housed in the local school.
1881 Church doubled in length and timber turret built together with an oak bellframe.
1887 Stahlschmidt records 3 bells in the tower.
c 1966 The ship's bell was retrieved from the school (which had closed) through the energies of the Revd G A Parlett, and is now mounted in a handsome wrought-iron stand made by the local blacksmith. It is sounded to give notice of the start of divine worship.
1971 Of these bells, by 1971, the treble and tenor were cracked by the rusting and expansion of their cast-in crown staples. Three of the double canons of the treble had broken off, and one broken from the tenor was rivetted back on. The bells were hung from solid cast-iron headstocks, the ends of which were rounded to form gudgeons, with iron wedges between the stocks and the canons. The iron-work seemed to be from the previous fittings. An Ellacombe chiming apparatus was later fitted, but this too became derelict.The 3 bells were taken down, 2 of them were recast and 3 more added with more metal to make a chime of 6.
[1] "The Steeple is a small wooden Spire, with 3 small Bells in it. 2 dated 1683, 1754." (Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1759)

Gallery



Photo: David Cawley collection


Photo: David Cawley collection

A view of the small church with its 1851 stone 3-bell gable. This was replaced in 1881 when the church was also doubled in length.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016