Untitled Document
  
East Wickham
 

East Wickham, St Michael (Old Church)


Photo: David Cawley

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
3 4 cwt approx.26" D♯ 1400 Unknown Never
2 2¾ cwt approx.23⅛" F♯ 1660 John Hodson, Whitechapel Never
1 2½ cwt approx.22½" G 1897 Samuel B. Goslin, Bishopsgate Never

Inscriptions

History

c 1100 Old church was built.
c 1400 Bell cast (tenor of 2) for Old Church
1552 Record of 2 bells in the Old Church tower.
1660 Bell recast by John Hodson (treble of 2) for the Old Church.
1854 Parish created. Formerly a chapelry in Plumstead.
1897 Present wooden bell turret erected and treble added to make 3 by Samuel Goslin. The old bells were skirted.
1932 -33 New Church built by T.F. Ford. A tower was considered to hold the old bells, but was considered impractical. A new bell was cast and hung for swing chiming with a cast iron headstock & lever. The old bells were later taken down & kept in the old church.
c 1965 Old Church used by the Greek Holy Orthodox Church.
c 1995 Old Church made formally Redundant and officially handed over to the Orthodox. Ancient fittings transferred to the Parish Church, the bells being placed on display.

Gallery


The 3 bells on display in the old church.
Photo: David Cawley
Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016