Untitled Document
  
Davington
 

Davington, Priory of St Mary Magdalene & St Lawrence)


Photo: Richard Offen, 2006

  • 4 bells hung for full circle ringing but swing chimed
  • Tenor: 2-0-12 in F.
  • Grid Ref: TR010617
  • Frame: 1856 John Taylor & Co. Made of iron with an inscription. The earliest metal frame in the county, and one of the earliest in the country.
  • Diocese: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: I. Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Priest's Bell ½ cwt approx.12" 1774 Unknown Never
3 2-0-1218¹⁄₁₆" 1856 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Never
2 1-2-2716¹³⁄₁₆" 1856 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Never
1 1-2-715¹⁵⁄₁₆" 1856 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Never

Inscriptions

Prior to 1856

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell0-3-11After reformationUnknownNeverSold 1856

History

1538 Priory dissolved. The church (in private hands) was used as a public chapel. At some stage later 1 bell was provided to replace the Priory bells forfeited to the Commissioners.
1774 Priest's Bell cast, founder unknown. It is hung for chiming separately from the other 3 and currently disused.
1856 Ring of 3 small bells cast by John Taylor and hung in what is believed to be the earliest metal frame in the country to hold a ring of more than 1 bell. They were bought by Thomas Willemont Esq, owner & restorer of the Priory, for £65 9s 4½d.
1932 The Priory church was bought by the Church Commissioners to become Davington Parish Church.

Gallery


he following drawings were made by David Cawley during his visit to Davington belfry on 2nd Nov, 1968. Framesides (dotted line is the direction of the rope) The framesides are of iron with rollers outside the frame.
Photo: David Cawley, 2 Nov 1968

Rough elevation Starting from the top, there are cast iron pedastal bearing housings connected to wrought iron rod connecting heads. The cast iron sides are bolted down at the bottom to timber boses.
Photo: David Cawley, 2 Nov 1968


Photo: David Cawley, 2 Nov 1968


Photo: David Cawley, 2 Nov 1968

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016