Untitled Document
  
Badlesmere
 

Badlesmere, St Leonard


Photo: Richard Offen, Apr 2007

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Single bell 7-1-1633.5 B♭ 1635 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Never

Inscriptions

History

1635 Bell cast by Joseph Hatch for St Mary, Reculver.
c 1750 Mid 18th Cent: The old mediaeval tower was largely rebuilt.
1760 Hasted records that there had been three bells but "two of the others had been taken away and sold many years ago towards the repair of the church".
1809 The present bell was acquired from Reculver church on its demolition. There is no room in the tower for more bells than the present one, and no physical evidence of there having been more.
1887 Stahlschmidt records 1, formerly 3 bells.
1988 The bell went to Whitechapel, where the staple was drilled out and it was supplied with all new fittings, but was not tuned before being rehung for swing chiming with a lever in the existing frame.

Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016