Boughton Monchelsea, St Peter
  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 13-3-2 in F♯
  • Grid Ref: TQ771498
  • Rung from: Ground Floor Chancel Crossing
  • Frame: 1860 Mears & Stainbank. Extended 1800 by John Warner. A 6-bell frame designed to eventually accommodate 8 bells.
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Maidstone
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Sound clip of the ring of bells.(Roger Button)

    Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 30" D♯ 1880 John Warner & Sons Removed 1992 Whitechapel
    ® 2 31" C♯ 1880 John Warner & Sons Removed 1992 Whitechapel
    ® 3 5-3-15 32" B 1592 Giles Reve, Kent Conventional 1992 Whitechapel
    ® 4 35⅜" A♯ 1693 James Bartlett, Whitechapel Conventional 1992 Whitechapel
    ® 5 38¾" G♯ 1614 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 1992 Whitechapel
    ® Tenor 13-3-2 43¼" F♯ 1727 John Waylett, Cripplegate Conventional 1992 Whitechapel

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1860 Charles & George Mears, Whitechapel Timber
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    History

    1592 Present 3rd cast.
    1614 Present 5th cast.
    1693 Present 4th cast.
    1727 Present tenor cast.
    1832 Church badly damaged by fire.
    1860 Bells rehung in a new frame by Mears & Stainbank.
    1880 Two trebles added by John Warner, who adapted the existing frame to make 6. The 8 bell frame would be of the standard 2-4-2 format, however the 2 vacant pits are in the wrong place and not even adjacent. The original 4-bell frame (Mears c.1860-70) occupied the two outer limbs with the 4-bell central space left vacant.
    1903 Repairs to fittings effected by Mears & Stainbank.
    1992 Bells tuned and rehung in old frame by Whitechapel.


    Page updated: 1 April 2016