Westgate on Sea, St Saviour

Photo: Dickon Love

  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 9-3-16 in A♭
  • Grid Ref: TR322701
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: 1975 Whitechapel Bell Foundry iroko frame for 8 bells
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: II Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)

    (As received 1975)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 4-0-9 26⅝" F 1975 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Flat Never
    ® 2 4-3-1 4-3-4 28½" E♭ 1739 Thomas Lester, Whiechapel Removed 1975 Whitechapel
    ® 3 4-2-6 5-0-10 29" D♭ 1608 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 1975 Whitechapel
    ® 4 5-1-27 5-2-17 31¾" C 1615 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 1975 Whitechapel
    ® 5 8-2-2 8-2-24 35¼" B♭ Stephen Norton, London Conventional 1975 Whitechapel
    ® Tenor 9-3-16 10-3-1 38¼" A♭ 1608 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 1975 Whitechapel

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1975 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Iroko 6.A
    8.3
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    Original church bell

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)

    (Supplied weight)
    Diameter Date Founder Retuned Fate
    Single bell 3-1-14 3-1-23 25" 1884 Gillett & Johnston Never Replaced in 1913
    Subsequent church bell before the new ring was installed

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)

    (Cast weight)

    (As supplied 1913)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
    Single bell 17-1-20 18-0-27 17-2-6 47" F 1913 John Taylor & Co. Never Hung for ringing. Scrapped 1975. Cast weight 18-0-27. Exactly half way between E and F.
    History

    1360 -1380 Bell cast by Stephen Norton (future 4th of 5) for Holy Cross, Canterbury.
    1608 Treble and tenor (of 4) recast by Joseph Hatch at Holy Cross, Canterbury.
    1615 2nd (of 4) recast by Joseph Hatch at Holy Cross, Canterbury.
    1739 Treble added by Thomas Lester to make 5 at Holy Cross, Canterbury.
    1883 Tower built by C. N. Beazley between 1883 and 1884.
    1884 Single bell cast and hung by Gillett & Co. in the new tower. Church consecrated and parish formed from Acol, Birchington, Minster and Margate (St James).
    1913 The Gillett bell was removed and a new bell by John Taylor & Co. was hung for ringing in a composite wood and cast iron frame.
    1972 May The 5 bells from Holy Cross Canterbury were removed by Association members and stored at Whitechapel under license from the Diocese.
    1975 The 5 bells from Holy Cross, Canterbury were tuned and transferred here and hung with a new treble to make 6 in a new frame by Whitechapel (using metal from a bell from Wellington School). Dedicated in July by the Archdeacon of Canterbury.

    Literary collection

  • "Association rescues Canterbury ring", Cawley, David L (The Ringing World) 21 July 1972
  • "The bells of Saint Saviour's Church, Westgate-on-Sea, Thanet, Kent", Cawley, David L (The Ringing World) 30 July 1976
  • Belfry photographs


    The treble.
    Photo: Joe Aust, June 2022


    Photo: Joe Aust, June 2022


    Photo: Joe Aust, June 2022

    Note the 2 empty pits.
    Photo: Joe Aust, June 2022


    Photo: Joe Aust, June 2022
    Bells elsewhere in the parish


    Page updated: 29 May 2023