Waltham, St Bartholomew

  • 6 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 8-2-2 in A.
  • Grid Ref: TR112484
  • Rung from: Ground Floor Chancel Crossing
  • Frame: 2000 Hayward Mills Associates. The old early 19th century frame for 4 bells is above it in the tower.
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Canterbury
  • Building Listed Grade: I Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)

(As received 2000)
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
® Treble 4-1-226" F♯ 2000 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Flat Never
® 2 4-3-1227½" E 2000 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Flat Never
® 3 4-2-274-3-029" D 1631 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 2000 John Taylor & Co (from D♯ to D)
® 4 5-2-45-2-430⅞" C♯ 1631 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 2000 John Taylor & Co
® 5 6-3-66-3-633" B 1602 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 2000 John Taylor & Co
® Tenor 8-2-28-2-1736¹⁵⁄₁₆" A 1631 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 2000 John Taylor & Co

®  - Hung for full circle ringing


Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
New frame below 1 All bells 1990 Hayward Mills Associates Steel
Old frame above 2 Empty Oak


How the bells are tuned


1602 A bell was cast by Joseph Hatch, believed to be his earliest known bell.
1631 3 more bells were cast by Hatch forming bells 1, 2 and 4 around his 1602 bell.
1757 Record of 4 bells in the tower in a tower with a small spire. The spire is now gone. [1]
1800 Hasted records 1 bell in the tower, which must be a mistake. [2]
1996 28th Jul. Bells rung for the last time, after which they were condemned as unringable.
1997 Appeal launched to rehang the bells in a new frame, preserving the old frame, the work to be undertaken by Hayward-Mills Associates.
1999 Bells removed from the tower and taken to Hayward Mills Associates. Owing to the large workload of the bell foundries at this time, the bells were not restored in time for the Millennium celebrations of 1st January, 2000.. It was decided to rehang the bells clockwise in a new frame for 6 and cast 2 extra bells, tuned to the Lydian Mode.
2000 Following advice from the foundry and demonstrations (on handbells) by Dickon Love (former custodian of the tower), the PCC decided (on 18th June) to retune and augment the bells to the diatonic scale. Two new treble bells were cast at Loughborough on 29th June and the installation of the frame and ring of 6 was completed on 23rd December.
2001 24th Jan. The bells were dedicated by Rev'd David Cawley.
[1] "This Church, consists of a Chancell and Nave, which are divided by ye Belfry, wch. has a low Spire with 4 Small Bells, wch. appear to have been founded in 1631, by Joseph Hatch." (Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1757)
[2] The church, which is dedicated to St Bartholomew, consists of one isle and a chancel, having a low pointed tower between them, in which there is one bell. [clearly a mistake] ('The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 9', Edward Hasted)


  • "You win some you lose some", Love, Dickon R (The Ringing World) 9 October 1987
  • "Ringing Resumes on the Roof of Kent", Love, Dickon R (Lovesguide and The Ringing World) 1 January 2007
  • Gallery

    (l-r) Third, second and treble bells in the old frame.
    Photo: Dickon Love

    The tenor bell prior to restoration.
    Photo: Dickon Love

    The bells arrive from Loughborough on a lorry - the old 4 and the shiny new trebles.
    Photo: Dickon Love

    The new second sitting at the base of the tower.
    Photo: Kent CACR website

    The new treble sitting at the base of the tower.
    Photo: Kent CACR website

    The Thomas Hatch stamp on the 5th (actually cast by Joseph Hatch).
    Photo: Richard Offen

    This is a drawing of the old timber bellframe by Nick Davies in 1960.
    Photo: David Cawley collection

    Ringing from the chancel crossing.
    Photo: Dickon Love, 2013

    Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016