Walmer, St Mary

Photo: Dickon Love, 12th Apr 2005

  • 8 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 18-0-9 in E♭
  • Grid Ref: TR371501
  • Complete ring cast at the same time
  • Rung from: Upstairs Ringing Room
  • Frame: 1892 Two tier frame by John Warner & Sons with 1, 4 & 7 on top.
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Ashford
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Canterbury
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)

    (As received 1934)

    (Quoted by F E Robinson (possibly supplied weights))
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 5-2-20 5-3-19 5-3-0 30¼" E♭ 1892 John Warner & Sons Doncaster 1934 Mears & Stainbank
    ® 2 5-3-19 6-0-13 6-0-21 31¼" D 1892 John Warner & Sons Doncaster 1934 Mears & Stainbank
    ® 3 6-1-23 6-3-0 6-3-0 33" C 1892 John Warner & Sons Doncaster 1934 Mears & Stainbank
    ® 4 7-1-0 7-2-2 7-1-22 34½" B♭ 1892 John Warner & Sons Doncaster 1934 Mears & Stainbank
    ® 5 9-0-11 9-1-25 9-1-17 38" A♭ 1892 John Warner & Sons Doncaster 1934 Mears & Stainbank
    ® 6 10-2-3 10-3-11 10-2-21 39¾" G 1892 John Warner & Sons Doncaster 1934 Mears & Stainbank
    ® 7 13-0-15 13-3-23 13-3-0 44" F 1892 John Warner & Sons Doncaster 1934 Mears & Stainbank
    ® Tenor 18-0-9 18-2-12 18-1-16 48" E♭ 1892 John Warner & Sons Doncaster 1934 Mears & Stainbank

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Position Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    Upper tier 2 1,4,7
    Lower tier 1 2,3,5,6,8
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    History

    1887 A new church was built by Sir A. Blomfield. It was consecrated on 5th April 1888 by Archbishop Benson, although at this stage was still without tower.
    1888 The larger of the two bells from the old church was brought here and put into the stump of the tower, sitting under a temporary roof. [1]
    1892 Ring of 8 cast by John Warner. The uninscribed bell from Blessed St Mary church was recast to form the 6th of this ring.
    1893 A tower, called the "Granville Tower" built to the memory Earl Granville, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports was added to the church, although it was left unfinished without its intended spire. The new bells were hung in April and first rung in the autumn.
    1934 Bells retuned and rehung by Mears & Stainbank.

    [1] The tower occupies the angle formed between the baptistery and the south aisle; but, at present, only its first stage is completed: it is covered with a temporary roof, and contains one bell removed here from the old church.' ('Records of Walmer together with The Three Castles that Keep the Downs, Elvin, The Revd C R S, 1890)
    Literary collection

  • "Cinque Ports welcome new Lord Warden", Love, Dickon R (The Ringing World) 29 April 2005
  • Pictures of the belfry


    The treble.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    The 2nd.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    The 3rd.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    The 4th.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    The 5th.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    The 6th.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    The 7th.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    The tenor.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    Inside the tenor.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017

    View from the top tier: treble 4 and 7.
    Photo: Christopher J Cooper, Aug 2017
    Bells elsewhere in the parish


    Page updated: 3 September 2017