Untitled Document
  
Sidcup
 

Sidcup, St John the Evangelist


Photo:

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Weight
(As supplied 1843)
Weight
(As received 1950)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Tenor 8-3-249-0-1937½" A 1901 John Warner & Sons 1950 Mears & Stainbank
5 6-3-176-3-1733¾" B 1901 John Warner & Sons 1950 Mears & Stainbank
4 6-2-06-1-255-2-431⅝" C♯ 1843 Thomas Mears II 1950 Mears & Stainbank
3 4-3-215-0-105-0-130" D 1843 Thomas Mears II 1950 Mears & Stainbank
2 4-3-35-0-54-3-2128½" E 1843 Thomas Mears II 1950 Mears & Stainbank
Treble 3-3-154-1-94-0-225" F♯ 1843 Thomas Mears II 1950 Mears & Stainbank

Inscriptions

Prior to 1901 (supplied weights)

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
56-3-11843Thomas Mears IINeverRecast 1901
Tenor9-0-191843Thomas Mears IINeverRecast 1901

History

1841 1st church built. It had twin towers.
1843 12th Oct. 4 bells were cast at Whitechapel, invoiced on this day. These formed the back 4 of a future ring of 6. The 2 trebles were cast a 3 months later. Parish created from St Nicholas, Chislehurst.
1844 13th Jan. The 2 treble bells were invoiced at Whitechapel.
1887 In his book "Church Bells of Kent", Stahlschmidt recorded 6 bells: 1 and 2 by C & G Mears dated 1844 with the remainder by Thomas Mears 1839. This is surely an error!
1898 Everything except the sanctuary was demolished.
1899 - 1901 Present church built by 1899-1901 by Fellowes Prynne - it used to have two towers although one was demolished to extend the church.
1901 The back 2 bells were recast by John Warner, and all the bells were rehung in a new frame. The new nave in the church was dedicated on 13th July.
1950 Bells retuned and rehung by Whitechapel.
c 1973 In the early 1970s, an appeal was launched to rehang the bells and augment them to 8. This plan was never fully realised.
1974 Bells rehung with new fittings in the existing frame by John Taylor & Co. Queen Mary's Hospital chapel in Sidcup closed. Peter Dale, Tower Captain of the time writes: "The late Revd Stanley Allen was vicar at the time and he went to the site to negotiate

Gallery


The Sanctus bell hanging as it did in Queen Mary hospital chapel before transfer to the church.
Photo: Peter Dale

St John's Church from the Green, c.1890s. The first church was established here in 1844 as a district church for St Nicholas Chislehurst, in which parish large parts of the developing Sidcup lay. This church included distinctive twin towers, a scheme no
Photo:
Recent Peals
The most recent performances, according to BellBoard.
2014-06-135040 Surprise Minor (7m)
2014-02-225040 Surprise Minor
2007-10-275040 Cambridge Surprise Minor
2007-04-215040 Surprise Minor
2004-10-095040 Minor (5m)
1982-09-035040 Minor (4 methods)
1980-12-275040 Minor (5 methods)
1980-10-145040 Minor (7 methods)
1980-06-285040 Minor (6 methods)
Recent Quarter Peals
The most recent performances, according to BellBoard.
2017-04-221260 Doubles
2017-03-261260 Doubles
2016-12-041260 Mixed Doubles
2016-11-211260 Plain Bob Doubles
2016-11-131260 Stedman Doubles
2016-07-241260 Doubles
2016-01-311260 Plain Bob Minor
2016-01-241260 Plain Bob Doubles
2014-06-211260 Doubles (1p/1v/3m)
2010-02-211260 Plain Bob Doubles
2009-12-131300 Plain Bob Doubles
Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016