Green Street Green, St Mary
  • Single bell hung in open gable
  • Grid Ref: TQ459634
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Rochester

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    Single bell
    History

    1903 A mission church was built in the parish of Chelsfield.
    1937 A new church was built on the same site. The foundation stone was laid on 23 Jul and was consecrated on 27 Nov and the new parish consituted on 5th Aug 1938. [1] [2]

    [1] GREEN STREET GREEN'S NEW CHURCH. Bishop congratulates St. Mary's at Stone-Laying Service.' ('Bromley & West Kent Mercury, Fri 30 July 1937)
    [2] GREEN ST GREEN'S FIRST VICAR. Institution Last Night. The Rev. William Thomas Henry Sampson was instituted by the Bishop of Rochester, Dr. M. Linton Smith, as first Vicar of St. Mary's, Green Street Green, at a service at St. Mary's last night. The institution was followed by the inducation by the Archdeacon of Rochester, the Ven. W. M. Browne. ... The service marked another stop forward in the history of St. Mary's, which began with the opening of the old Church Hall in 1903. The fine new church was consecrated on November 27th last year, and the new parish constituted on August 5th this year. The first Vicar, Mr. Sampson, has been curate at Chelsfield and in charge at Green Street Green for six years.' (' Bromley & West Kent Mercury, Fri 7 Oct 1938)

    Page updated: 29 April 2024