Maidstone, Cemetery Chapel

Photo: Rob Baker, Apr 2024

  • Single bell displayed on chapel floor
  • Grid Ref: TQ768536
  • Building Listed Grade: II Click for Heritage details.

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ҈ Single bell John Warner & Sons Doncaster Never

    ҈ - Unhung

    History

    1858 Maidstone Cemetery was opened. It was designed by local architectural partnership Peck & Stephens. The cemetery buildings - either built from or faced with locally quarried Kentish ragstone - included two chapels, one for the "Established Church" and a second listed on 19th century Ordnance Survey maps as a "Dissenters Chapel" (demolished 1959).
    2006 The chapel building was declared unsafe and was closed, in serious danger of demolition.
    2022 The building was restored and refurbished. The bell was resited on the floor of the chapel with its headstock.

    Gallery


    The bell displayed on the floor of the chapel.
    Photo: Rob Baker, Apr 2024

    Page updated: 28 April 2024