Header
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, Barton Court


Photo: Unknown, dated c.1940

  • Formerly clock bell 1¼ cwt approx.
  • Formerly clock bell 1¼ cwt approx.
  • Grid Ref: TR156576
  • Building now Barton Court Grammar School for Girls

Former clock bell

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderRetunedFate
Clock bell1¼ cwt approx.17⅜"1601Robert MotNeverNow in store in Poor Priests Hospital

History

1601 A bell was cast, judged to be by Robert Mot (although not explicitly stated on the bell). This was hung in a turret as a clock bell.
1657 The manor house was built in Longport by the Hougham family. They owned the building until 1902.
1941 The house was sold to Canterbury City Corporation and sub-let to the Education authority for the Canterbury Technical High School for Girls.
1945 The site was bought for the Barton Court Grammar School.



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 5 September 2020