Header
  
Canterbury
 

Canterbury, Bertha the Queen


Photo: Googlemaps, August 2020

  • Single bell hung for swing chiming on wall bracket
  • Tenor: ½ cwt approx.
  • Grid Ref: TR166573
  • Bell from St George’s School. Church now centre for Canterbury Diocesan Assn for the Deaf.
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Frame: Wall bracket
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury
    Deanery (Anglican): Canterbury


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
҂ Single bell ½ cwt approx.13" 1884 John Warner & SonsNever

҂  - Hung for swing chiming

Inscriptions

History

1884 A bell was cast for St George’s School, Canterbury Lane by John Warner & Sons.
1942 St George’s Church bombed on 1 Jun, and the school was subsequently demolished.
1952 St George’s parish was united with that of St Martin with St Paul. It had been proposed to build a fine new church on Spring Lane Estate, but the plan was abandoned. The school bell was retained for use in the mission church now planned for the site.
1961 The mission church, styled Queen Bertha, was dedicated. The ex-St George’s School Bell was hung for swing chiming.
1981 The church was handed over to the Canterbury Diocesan Association for the Deaf as a place of worship and centre. The bell remains there.



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 23 August 2020