Header
  
Margate
 

Margate, Ss Austin & Gregory (RC)


Photo: theisleofthanetnews.com, Mar 2020

  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with lever
  • Tenor: 1-2-24
  • Grid Ref: TR356704
  • Denomination: Roman Catholic
    Diocese (RC): Southwark
    Area (RC): Kent
    Deanery (RC): Thanet


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
Single bell 1-2-2420" G♯ 1952 John Taylor & Co., LoughboroughNever

Prior to 1952

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderFate
Single bell1-3-520"1871Mears & StainbankRecast 1952

History

1803 A Roman Catholic Church was established in Margate.
1866 A tower was authorised "to be half the height of the tower of St John's church tower" (which had no spire at the time).
1871 A bell was provided by Mears & Stainbank.
1887 A taller tower was built, and the bell transferred thereto.
1952 The bell was recast by John Taylor & Co at a cost of £43.15.10; it is hung for swing chiming with a lever.



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 28 June 2020