Header
  
Dover
 

Dover, St Mary's Mission Hall


  • Formerly single bell ¼ cwt approx.
  • Grid Ref: TR318412
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury


Prior to 1938

Bell DiameterDateFounderFate
Single bell8"c.1892UnknownTransferred to St Mary's Dover 1938 then Buckland Valley, 1948

History

c. 1892 St Mary's Mission Hall was built in the parish of the St Mary's by Canon Puckle for promoting the spiritual enlightenment of the district. It was equipped with a single small bell. The date is uncertain.
1938 The hall was demolished and the single bell was transferred to the belfry of St Mary's Parish Church. [1]
1948 The small bell was presented to the new St Nicholas church, Buckland Valley, by the St Mary's, Dover PCC. It was hung in a frame on a post near the church. [2]
[1] VANISHED DOVER CHURCHES AND CHAPELS. The demolition of St. Mary's Mission Hall in Adrian St., which is now in progress, removes a mid-Victorian building. Though not exactly a Church, it has been used as such and so might be placed under the category of vanished Dover Churches. (Dover Express - Fri 11 Feb 1938)
[2] The bell now in use at St. Nicholas' Church, Buckland Valley, is the same one which, for many years, summoned people to worship at St Mary's Mission. Thanks to the efforts of Miss Boyton, the former Choirmistress at the Mission, a sum of £6, which had been subscribed by former choirboys, has been handed to the Priest-in-charge of St. Nicholas', to meet the cost of fixing the ringing apparatus. (Dover Express - Fri 19 Aug 1949)



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 13 June 2020