Header
  
Folkestone
 

Folkestone, Cheriton Road Cemetery


Photo: Iain MacFarlaine

  • Formerly single hemispherical bell
  • Grid Ref: TR213363
  • Also known as the Old Folkestone Cemetery

Former bell

Bell DateFounderRetunedFate
Single hemispherical bellc. 1856UnknownNeverTransferred to St Augustine's Church, Folkestone

History

1856 A new cemetery was set up with the first burials taking place in Nov. The chapel was equipped with a hemispherical bell (date of bell uncertain).
1910 The "Edward Husband Memorial Hall" was built as a Parish Hall for St Michael's, Folkestone. In 1953 it was converted into St Augustine's Church. At some point the hemispherical bell from the cemetery was transferred to this hall/church when the cemetery chapel was closed.
1963 The hemispherical bell at St Augustine's was scrapped in favour of a new bell.



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 11 June 2020