Header
  
Little Chart
 

Little Chart, St Mary of Holy Rood (Old Church)


Photo: 14th July, 1941. David Cawley collection.

  • Church ruined, no bells
  • Formerly ring of 6, tenor 7-3-20. Recast and transferred to the New Church.
  • Grid Ref: TQ934466
  • Rung from: Ground Floor
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Ashford


Inscriptions

Prior to 1944

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterNoteDateFounderRetunedFate
Treble (of 6)4-0-1426"F1932Alfred BowellNeverSupplied 4-0-18. Recast 1956.
2nd (of 6)4-0-2127½"E♭1722Samuel KnightNeverSupplied 4-1-6. Recast 1956.
3rd (of 6)4-3-1229"D♭1932Alfred BowellNeverSupplied 4-3-11. Recast 1956.
4th (of 6)5-3-332"C1722Samuel KnightNeverStolen. Supplied weight given.
5th (of 6)6-2-1334"B♭1722Samuel KnightNeverSupplied 6-3-23. Recast 1956.
Tenor (of 6)7-3-2036"A♭1932Alfred BowellNeverSupplied 7-3-21. Recast 1956.

Prior to 1932

Bell NoteDateFounderRetunedFate
2nd (of 5)D♭1722Samuel KnightNeverRecast in 1932.
Tenor (of 5)A♭1722Samuel KnightNeverRecast in 1932.

History

1552 Record of 4 bells. [1]
1722 5 bells were cast by Samuel Knight.
1742 Tenor recast by Robert Catlin.
c 1850 In late 19th Cent, uninscribed Sanctus bell cast, probably by John Warner.
1872 Clock bell cast by John Taylor (called "Old Soloman") for an 1872 clock by Moore of Clerkenwell for Calehill in the parish.
1932 Bells tuned and augmented to 6 with the 2nd and tenor recast by Alfred Bowell of Ipswich. The bells were rehung in a new steel frame.
1944 16th Aug. The church was destroyed by a doodlebug. The cracked bells were rescued and stored beside a railway line. The tenor was subsequently stolen.
1945 The bells were removed from the tower and stored by the railway line from where the 4th was stolen. The belfry stage of the tower was then largely demolished.
1955 The new church and tower were completed. The 5 surviving bells were taken to John Taylor & Co., Loughborough. The new church and tower were completed.
1956 6 new bells were cast from the metal of the 5 remaining old bells and hung in a new tower in the new church by John Taylor. The clock bell was also brought from Calehill (which was being demolished) and hung. The service bell was also installed, neither by Taylor's. A Service of Consecration of the new church and new bells, conducted by Archbishop Geoffrey Fisher, took place on 29th September.
1972 29th Nov. Church declared redundant.
1973 31st May Declaration of the redundancy scheme.
[1] Item two hande bells. Item iiij bells in the Stepyll. (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)

Gallery


The church shortly after bombing.
Photo: David Cawley collection

The interior of the old church showing the ground floor ringing room and the six ropes hanging down. The window at the top has fragments of old glass with a seated Madonna in a golden crown and the Child kneeling.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Old postcard.
Photo: David Cawley collection

Old postcard.
Photo: David Cawley collection


Photo: David Cawley, 2011


Photo: David Cawley, 2011


Photo: David Cawley, 2011


Photo: David Cawley, 2011


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016