Lenham, St Mary

Photo: Richard Offen, 2005

  • 8 bells hung for full circle ringing
  • Tenor: 21-0-14 in E♭
  • Grid Ref: TQ899521
  • Rung from: Open Gallery
  • Frame: 1959 John Taylor & Co.
  • Denomination: Church of England
  • Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
  • Archdeaconry (Anglican): Maidstone
  • Kent County Association of Change Ringers District: Maidstone
  • Building Listed Grade: I Click for Heritage details.
  • Peals rung at the tower (Felstead Database)

  • Details of the Bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)
    Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
    ® Treble 5-0-16 28" E♭ 1959 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Flat Never
    ® 2 5-2-2 30" D 1751 Robert Catlin, Holborn Conventional 1959 John Taylor & Co
    ® 3 6-0-23 31½" C 1709 Richard Phelps, Whitechapel Conventional 1959 John Taylor & Co
    ® 4 6-3-13 34" B♭ 1709 Richard Phelps, Whitechapel Conventional 1959 John Taylor & Co
    ® 5 7-2-18 36" A♭ 1592 Robert Mot, Whitechapel Conventional 1959 John Taylor & Co
    ® 6 10-1-17 39" G 1619 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, Kent Conventional 1959 John Taylor & Co
    ® 7 14-1-22 43" F 1959 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough Flat Never
    ® Tenor 21-0-14 50" E♭ 1686 James Bartlett, Whitechapel Conventional 1959 John Taylor & Co

    ® - Hung for full circle ringing

    Bellframes

    Frame Bells Year Maker Material Truss(es) Local
    Layout
    1 All bells 1959 John Taylor & Co., Loughborough
    Inscriptions on the Bells

    Earlier bells

    Bell Weight
    (most recent)

    (Supplied weight)
    Diameter Date Founder Retuned Fate
    Treble (of 8) 6-0- 1751 Robert Catlin Never Recast 1898
    Treble 6-0-24 5-1-0 28½" 1898 Gillett & Johnston Never Recast 1959
    7 18-2-4 1751 Robert Catlin Never Recast 1959. Traditionally weighed 18-2-4 but not likely.
    History

    1592 Present 5th cast.
    1685 Bells rehung.
    1686 Tenor cast by James Bartlett.
    1691 Bells rehung.
    1709 The 2 trebles (of 6) were recast by Richard Phelps.
    1751 5th (of 6) was recast and 2 trebles were added by Robert Catlin to make 8.
    1898 Bells rehung by Gillett & Johnston, who recast the treble.
    1958 Treble and 7th recast by John Taylor. Paul Taylor refused to put Gillett's name on the recast treble.
    1959 Bells rehung with new fittings and framework, including the 2 newly recast bells.
    1960 Oct. Bells rededicated by the Bishop of Dover. Soon afterwards the tenor headstock cracked and had to be replaced.
    1996 Former ringing gallery reinstated.


    Page updated: 1 April 2016