Untitled Document
  
Ivychurch
 

Ivychurch, St George


Photo:

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
5 14½ cwt approx44¼" F 1624 John Wilnar, Borden, Kent Never
4 11½ cwt approx.40¼" G 1724 Samuel Knight, Southwark Never
3 8¾ cwt approx36⅞" A 1624 John Wilnar, Borden, Kent Never
2 7½ cwt approx.33¼" B♭ 1624 John Wilnar, Borden, Kent Never
1 5½ cwt approx.31⅜" C 1624 John Wilnar, Borden, Kent Never

Inscriptions

Earlier bell

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
4th1624John WilnarNeverRecast 1724

History

1455 William Warde bequeathed 40s. to the parishioners on condition that they should buy new bells, else the legacy would not be paid.
1552 Record of 4 bells.
1624 Bells recast into a ring of 5 by John Wilnar.
1724 4th recast by Samuel Knight.
1799 Record of 5 bells in the tower. [1]
1967 Bells made ringable for short periods as a result of voluntary work by David Cawley.
[1] It is a large handsome building of sand stone, consisting of three isles and a chance, none of which are ceiled, having at the west end a tower steeple with a beacon turret. In the tower there are five bells and a clock. ('The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent. Vol 8', Edward Hasted)

Gallery


The tenor bell in Ivychurch belfry.
Photo: John Hendy, 2002

Looking across to the 4th, with the 2nd and 3rd on the right.
Photo: John Hendy, 2002

n old postcard of the church showing the spirelet.
Photo: David Cawley collection
Full list of peals here
Full list of quarters here

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016