Header
  
Walmer
 

Walmer, Blessed St Mary


  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with lever in open gable
  • Tenor: 3½ cwt approx.
  • Grid Ref: TR367503
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Ashford
  • Building Listed Grade: II* Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
Single bell 3½ cwt approx.25½" 1635 Joseph Hatch, Ulcombe, KentNever

Inscriptions

Prior to 1892

Bell Weight
(most recent)
DiameterDateFounderFate
2 of 24 cwt approx.27"UnknownRecast in 1892 for St Mary's New Church

History

1120 The first St Mary's church was built as the chapel to the adjoining Walmer Manor (now in ruins). The original Norman entrance door and chancel arch survive, along with two windows on the south side.
1635 Bell cast by Joseph Hatch. This is the surviving bell.
1759 Record of 2 bells in the tower. [1]
1795 Record of 2 bells in the tower. [2]
1887 A new parish church was built in Walmer and this church was restored . The Hatch bell was rehung in the new stone gable. Stahlschmidt reports 2 bells here, the Hatch bell and a slightly larger blank bell.
1892 The uninscribed bell was recast to be the 6th of the new ring at the new church.
1970 The Hatch bell was rehung with new fittings for swing chiming by Whitechapel (work done on site by Harry Parkes).
[1] This Church is small, and consists only of the Chancell and the Body. In a little wooden Steeple, at ye West End, hang 2 Bells – 1 of them has no Inscription the other was founded by Joseph Hatch, 1635. (Rev’d Bryan Faussett, 1759)
[2] The Church stands at the West side of it, consisting of one Aile and a chancel; and a small spire steeple at the West end, containing two Bells. Bells. 1st. (Blank). (Zachariah Cozens, 1795)



Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 10 May 2020