Header
  
Margate
 

Margate, Holy Trinity


Photo: David Cawley collection

  • Single bell hung dead with electric solenoid hammer
  • Tenor: 8-0-18 in A.
  • Grid Ref: TR376701
  • Frame: A pair of RSJs, John Taylor & Co.
  • Diocese: Canterbury

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date FounderRetuned
Single bell 8-0-1835⅜" A 1958 John Taylor & Co., LoughboroughNever

Inscriptions

History

1943 The old Holy Trinity church was bombed on 1 June. The tower and its contents survived. Services continued in the church hall.
1957 The building of the new church commenced on 21 Oct. It is an enlarged version, especially the tower, of Little Chart, by the same architect, Harold Anderson.
1958 The bell, clock and other salvaged furniture were removed from the old church. The demolition of the magnificent tower caused a rumpus.
1959 The bell (recast by Taylors) and the restored clock were installed in the new church, which was consecrated by Dr Geoffrey Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury, on June 26th.

Gallery


The tower bell.
Photo: David Cawley, 2014


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 29 March 2020