Header
  
Greatstone
 

Greatstone, St Peter


Photo: Brian Butcher, 2006

  • 2 bells hung for swing chiming with levers
  • Tenor: ¾ cwt approx.
  • Grid Ref: TR076260
  • Frame: 2006 Locally made timber frame
  • Denomination: Church of England
    Diocese (Anglican): Canterbury
    Archdeaconry (Anglican): Canterbury


Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Canons Retuned
҂ Disused ½ cwt approx.9" Unknown Never
҂ Single Bell ¾ cwt approx.17" 1871 John Warner & Sons Never

҂  - Hung for swing chiming

Inscriptions

History

2001 Bell, which formerly came from Lydd School, was reported to have an amateur swing chiming hanging with lever, although was out of use.
2006 A single bell by John Warner (origin unknown) was donated by Alistair Coney in memory of his mother Rosemary. At that point no decision had been made about whether to retain the existing 9" bell.

Gallery


The bell in the new frame.
Photo: Brian Butcher 2006

The old former Lydd school bell.
Photo: Brian Butcher 2006

The "new" Warner bell installed in 2006.
Photo: Brian Butcher 2006


Love's Guide to the Church Bells of Kent Page updated: 1 April 2016