banner1.jpg (38669 bytes)

MILTON, Ss Peter & Paul

8 bells
Tenor 11-3-2 in F sharp
Grid Ref. TQ658738
Rochester District
Frame: 1810 Thomas Mears II (adapted by Mears & Stainbank, 1930)
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned (apart from 3rd and tenor)
Upstairs Ringing Room
PEALS

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell Weight
(prior to retuning)
Weight
(after retuning)
Diameter Cast Founder

1

n/a

5-1-9

27"

1930

Mears & Stainbank

2

n/a

5-2-4

283/4"

1930

Mears & Stainbank

3

6-0-12

5-2-24

31"

1810

Thomas Mears II

4

n/a

5 cwt approx

30⅞"

1656

John Hodson

5

n/a

6 cwt approx

32⅜"

1656

John Hodson

6

n/a

7 cwt approx

34⅝"

1656

John Hodson

7

n/a

9 cwt approx

38"

1656

John Hodson

8

11-3-9

11-3-2

41⅝"

1656

John Hodson

1.
MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1930. wc1923.jpg (2327 bytes)
IN MEMORY OF
ALAN GATES SANDFORD
KILLED AT LOOS
1915.
F. M. MITCHELL,
   21 YEARS, LEADER
2.
M&S. LONDON.  wc1923.jpg (2327 bytes)

GIVEN BY
CHURCHWARDEN ERNEST E. & MRS. J. E. KNOWLES.
1930.

C. W. MENNIE, M. A.
   30 YEARS, RECTOR
3. THOMAS MEARS & SON OF LONDON FECIT 1810 G RICH W COOK CHURCH WARDENS
 
4. IOHN HODSON MADE MEE 1656 WILLIAM HVLL
 
5. IOHN HODSON MADE MEE 1656 PETTER BROWNE WATERMAN
 
6. IOHN HODSON MADE MEE 1656 THOMAS MORRIS SMITH W H
 
7. IOHN HODSON MADE MEE 1656 IOHN SMITH DISSTILAR
 
8. IOHN HODSON MADE MEE 1656 WILLIAM ANTROBVS IOHN HALL CHVRCH WARDNES
  IS TM PB MASARS ‡    ‡
 

HISTORY

1656

Ring of 5 cast by John Hodson.

1810

Treble added to make 6. All the bells were rehung in a new frame.

1903

Bells quarter-turned and rehung with new fittings by Mears & Stainbank.

1930

2 trebles added by Mears & Stainbank to make 8. They removed the north end of the frame and placed 2 cast iron pits there to receive the eventual 3rd and 4th, the 2 trebles hanging in the pits vacated. The 3rd (of 8) was taken back to the foundry and tuned at the time. The tenor also appears to have gone to the foundry, although probably just to be measured to allow the others to be cast and tuned.

1970

Bells rehung with some new fittings by John Taylor.

OLD PHOTOGRAPH

The following photograph is of the dedication of the two new treble bells in 1930.

The lady and gentleman on the left are Edward Augustus Sandford and Frances Sandford (ne Gates). The treble is dedicated to the memory of Alan Gates Sandford. This picture was kindly provided by Catherine Allcott who is the great great granddaughter of Alan Gates' father.

The lady and gentleman on the right are Mr Ernest and Mrs Jean Knowles who donated are feature in the inscription on the 2nd bell.(These were identified by Janet Horsman, their great granddaughter, to whom thanks are due.)

The two gentlemen in the middle are the Rev'd C.W. Minnie (the Rector) and Frederick Moses Mitchell, who was Master of the Ancient Society of College Youths in 1932.  Frederick Albert Mitchell, his son, followed him as Secretary of Milton tower for many years.  Best thanks to Michael Mitchell, F A Mitchell's son for this information.

Also pictured is the tenor bell.

Photo 1930 courtesy C Allcott, 2001