banner1.jpg (38669 bytes)

MARGATE, Holy Trinity Old Church

Photo DLC collection, taken c.1950

 
Formerly 1 bell
Tenor: 10-3-2 in G
Grid Ref. TR377701
Canterbury District
Frames: 1829
Never subsequently retuned
Church bombed 1943, pulled down 1958
Bell (recast) transferred to the New Church.

DETAILS OF THE BELL

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Pitch

Cast

Founder

Ringing bell

10-3-2

40"

G

1829

Thomas Mears II

INSCRIPTION

1 T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1829

HISTORY

 
1825 27th Sept Foundation stone laid by Dr Manners-Sutton, Archbishop of Canterbury. Mr William Edmunds of Margate was the architect.
1825-29 Church built. The Margate Pier & Harbour Co. made a grant of 2k as the fine 136ft pinnacles tower was to be of value as a sea mark, provided that it was approved as such by Trinity House (who themselves contributed).
1829 11th Jun Church consecrated by Dr William Howley, Archbishop of Canterbury. Bell purchased from Thomas Mears. It was hung for ringing in a frame 9’ 6" high!
1842 Church separated from St John's and assigned its own district, becoming "Holy Trinity Church".
1845 Clock (by Thwaites & Reed) purchased by subscription.
1903
Estimate for a ring of 8 bells prepared by Mears & Stainbank, together with an extension to the church, towards which friends of Canon Pryor (the Vicar) promised 3,000.
1906 "The scheme caused a certain amount of discontent and a deputation waited upon the Vicar. [He] promised that the bells would cause no trouble, that for practices they would be swung dumb, and that in special circumstances they would not be pealed at all. Nevertheless, the idea was dropped".
1943 1st Jun The church was bombed. The tower and its contents survived. Services continued in the church hall.
1956 Services transferred to St Mary’s Chapel, Northdown Park. The Friend family who owned it gave the chapel and the surrounding land for a new church.
1957 21st Oct Building of the new church commenced. It is an enlarged version, especially the tower, of Little Chart, by the same architect, Harold Anderson.
1958 The tower of the old church was demolished.

Photo DLC collection