banner1.jpg (38669 bytes)

LOWER HARDRES, St Mary

Photo RCO Apr 2005
1 bell (formerly 3)
Tenor: 5 cwt approx. in E
Grid Ref. TR151531
Canterbury District
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Frame: deal lowside
Unringable (assumed)

DETAILS OF THE BELL

Bell Weight Diameter Cast Founder

1

5 cwt approx.

26"

1832

Thomas Mears II

1. T MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1832
 
 

EARLIER BELL

Bell Weight Diameter Cast Founder Fate

1

?

?

1723

Richard Phelps

Recast 1832

1. R. P. FECIT 1723 MR BENJAMIN FOREMAN CHURCH WARDEN
 
 

HISTORY

1542-3

3 bells were purchased from St Mary de Castro, Canterbury for 4. ("Receyved out of the parishioners of Nether Hardres for the cities part of the iij bells to them sold out of the Church of Saynt Mary Castell iiij li")

1723

One of the bells was cast or recast by Richard Phelps.

1758 Faussett notes that only one bell remains.
This Church, wch. is very small, consists of the Chancell, South Chancell, Great & South Isle. In the Steeple, which is a very small, low, wooden one, at ye W. End hangs 1 Small Bell, thus Inscribed: R.P. Fecit 1723. Mr Benjamin Foreman, Church Warden.
1800 Edward Hasted wrote:
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, seems antient. It is but small and dark, consisting of two isles and two chancels, having a low pointed steeple at the west end, in which hangs only one bell.

1831

The old church was pulled down and the present church built with an octagonal spire.

1832

Bell recast by Thomas Mears II and hung for full circle ringing in the new tower in a deal lowside frame.

1887

Stahlschmidt noted that there were formerly 3 bells, of which the 1832 bell is the survivor.

1970

Bell inspected, discovered to have all full ringing fittings including a stay but no slide with the rope heavily drawn. The bell was in a deal lowside frame.