banner1.jpg (38669 bytes)

LITTLE CHART
St Mary the Virgin (New Church)

Photo DRL 5th March 1992
6 bells + clock bell + service bell
Tenor: 6-0-21 in B
Grid Ref. TQ944458
Ashford District
Frame: 1956 John Taylor & Co. (Cast iron)
Retuning; Never subsequently retuned
Upstairs Ringing Room
Cast from the metal of five of the ring from Little Chart Old Church.
Peals
SOUND CLIP
(Recording by Mark Chittenden-Pile, 7.09s)

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

2-2-20

22"

G sharp

1956

John Taylor & Co.

2

3-0-11

23⅞"

F sharp

1956

John Taylor & Co.

3

3-0-23

24⅞"

E

1956

John Taylor & Co.

4

3-1-18

25⅞"

D sharp

1956

John Taylor & Co.

5

4-1-19

28"

C sharp

1956

John Taylor & Co.

6

6-0-21

3115/16"

B

1956

John Taylor & Co.

Clock

2 cwt approx.

207/16"

A

1872

John Taylor & Co.

Service

cwt approx.

1011/16"

F

Late 19th Cent.

? John Warner & Sons

1.
RECAST BY J OHN TAYLOR & CO. LOUGHBOROUGH 1956
CAST BY
BOWELL OF IPSWICH,
1932

"SING UNTIL THE LORD AND PRAISE HIS NAME"

2. BackwardsS.jpg (744 bytes)AM KBackwardsN.jpg (750 bytes)IGHT FECIT J722 NATHABackwardsN.jpg (750 bytes)ELL COLIBackwardsN.jpg (750 bytes)GTON IVBackwardsN.jpg (750 bytes)

RECAST
BY

J OHN TAYLOR & CO
LOUGHBOROUGH
3. SAMUEL KNIGHT, FECIT. 1722.

RECAST BY
BOWELL OF IPSWICH,
1932.
AGAIN RECAST BY

J OHN TAYLOR & CO
LOUGHBOROUGH
4. star.jpg (883 bytes) JOHN TAYLOR & CO star.jpg (883 bytes) FOUNDERS star.jpg (883 bytes) LOUGHBOROUGH star.jpg (883 bytes) 1956
 
5. BackwardsS.jpg (744 bytes)AMUELL KBackwardsN.jpg (750 bytes)IGHT MADE ME J722

RECAST
BY

J OHN TAYLOR & CO
LOUGHBOROUGH
1956
6. R. CATLIN, FECIT, 1742. THE REVD MR THOS PEARSON, RECTOR.
 
C J : TAYLOR & CO FOUNDERS 1872.
JON ASHBEE,    JOHN ATWAY, CHURCHWARDENS.

RECAST BY
BOWELL OF IPSWICH,
1932.
AGAIN RECAST BY

J OHN TAYLOR & CO
LOUGHBOROUGH
1956
S. 20    (sunk in crown)
 

The crook numbers in the crown of the ringing bells are: 305, 267, 212, 161, 186, 237.

The old inscriptions on the 2nd and 5th are reproduced in facsimile. The wording of the 1932 bells (treble, 3rd and tenor) which was not reproduced by Alfred Bowell, has been repeated in John Taylor & Co.'s lettering.

HISTORY

1552

Record of 4 bells in the old church.

1722

5 bells were cast by Samuel Knight.

1742

Tenor recast by Robert Catlin.

Late 19th Cent

Uninscribed Sanctus bell cast, probably by John Warner, for an unknown location.

1872

Clock bell cast by John Taylor (called "Old Soloman") for an 1872 clock by Moore of Clerkenwell for Calehill in the parish.

1932

Bells tuned and augmented to 6 with the 3rd and tenor recast by Alfred Bowell of Ipswich. The bells were rehung in a new steel frame.

1944

16th Aug.

The church received a direct hit from a flying bomb. Only the badly damaged tower and parts of the chancel wall survived.

1945

The bells were removed from the tower and stored by the railway line from where the 4th was stolen. The belfry stage of the tower was then largely demolished.

1955

The 5 surviving bells were taken to John Taylor & Co., Loughborough. The new church and tower were completed.

1956

6 new bells were cast from the metal of the 5 remaining old bells and hung in a new tower in the new church by John Taylor. The clock bell was also brought from Calehill (which was being demolished) and hung. The service bell was also installed, neither by Taylor's.

1956

29th Sept.

Service of Consecration of the new church and new bells, conducted by Archbishop Geoffrey Fisher.