banner1.jpg (38669 bytes)

HERNE BAY, Christ Church

DLC collection

2 bells
Tenor: 3 cwt approx. in F sharp
Grid Ref.
Canterbury District
Bells hung dead in a wooden birdcage turret
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Clocked from ground floor vestry

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell Weight Diameter Cast Founder

1

2 cwt approx.

20"

1816

Thomas Mears II

2

3 cwt approx.

25"

1895

Samuel B. Goslin

INSCRIPTIONS

1. 1816
2. S. B. GOSLIN. LONDON
PRO GLORIA DEI
T. B. WATKINS
J. S. TRECLOWN
} CLERGY
F. C. B. WELLS
R. MOORE
} CHURCHWARDENS

1894

HISTORY

1835

Church built as nonconformist chapel

1840 Building bought by the Church of England & presumably then acquired the smaller bell (possibly from Herne Bay old pier).
1894 Samuel B Goslin reported, "The bell is not cracked, but is a very poor one, and utterly unsuitable for a church of this position and size, and it should be rehung as it is unsafe, and retained as a five-minute bell. A new bell is required, of about 25 inches diameter, note F#, and this bell would be quite large enough at present and it would come in at any time for one of a new ring or peal, should it be deemed advisable (in the future) to increase the number of bells in a new tower. It is the same size as the new second bell which Mr Goslin has recently put in at S. Alphege Canterbury, where it is much approved. He estimates the cost to rehang the old bell and to cast and hang the new one, with all alterations to fittings, at 50. Mr Goslin has attended to one of the bells at Canterbury Cathedral [Great Dunstan] and given great satisfaction to the Dean and Chapter, and also to the Rev. T. G. Crosse and his churchwardens [St Alphege].
1895 The bells were hung in January as per the estimate.