banner1.jpg (38669 bytes)

DOVER, St James the Apostle, New Church

 
Formerly 6 steel bells
Tenor 12 cwt approx.
Canterbury District
Frame: 1861
Retuning: Never subsequently retuned
Upstairs ringing room
Bells purchased from the sale of the bells from the Old Church.
Church demolished 1953 and bells disposed of.
PEALS

 

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell Weight Diameter Cast Founder

1

4 cwt approx.

29"

1862

Naylor, Vickers & Co.

2

4 cwt approx.

31"

1861

Naylor, Vickers & Co.

3

6 cwt approx.

35"

1862

Naylor, Vickers & Co.

4

7 cwt approx.

39"

1862

Naylor, Vickers & Co.

5

9 cwt approx.

41"

1861

Naylor, Vickers & Co.

6

12 cwt approx.

45"

1861

Naylor, Vickers & Co.

INSCRIPTIONS

1.

NAYLOR VICKERS & CO 1862

 
2. NAYLOR VICKERS & CO 1861
 
3. NAYLOR VICKERS & CO 1862
 
4. NAYLOR VICKERS & CO 1862
 
5. NAYLOR VICKERS & CO 1861
 
6. NAYLOR VICKERS & CO 1861
 
 
These are the inscriptions according to Stahlschmidt (who commented that they were "as rusty as they make them". Steel bells normally bore at least the inscription

NAYLOR VICKERS & CO SHEFFIELD (date)
(Royal Arms)
(Pattern No.)

sometimes with the addition of

E. REIPE'S PATENT CAST STEEL

but in the case of Dover's bells, it is quite possible that Stahlschmidt had difficulty reading the inscriptions through the rust.

HISTORY

1860

20th August

Foundation stone of the new church was laid.

1860-2

The church was built with a north-western tower and spire.

1861-2

A ring of 6 steel bells were cast by Naylor Vickers.

1862

20th August

Church consecrated.

1935

Bells rehung by Gillett & Johnson. The ringers practised at St Mary's while the work was being carried out.

1940-44

The church was damaged by shelling during the War.

1953

The church was demolished. The bells were thrown over the edge of the tower and scrapped. One was so corroded it had a hole in it. One bell was kept for St Alban's, Old Park, Dover (now demolished).

PEALS ON THE BELLS

The Felstead Records list two peals rung on these bells

No. Date Method Comment
1 16/6/1888 Plain Bob Minor
2 7/4/1913 Plain Bob Minor

However, in the St Mary's Ringers' log book, two peals are recorded, one of which was a peal of Plain Bob Minor in 8hours and 13 minutes on 14th April, 1913.

GALLERY

dover_st_james_new.jpg (45729 bytes) DLC collection