banner1.jpg (38669 bytes)

CITY OF CANTERBURY,
Cathedral & Metropolitical Church of Christ

 
Ring of 12 bells + extra treble and flat sixth
A Clock Chime of 5 bells
A slow swinging Bourdon Bell
A Curfew/Matins Bell hung dead
Grid Ref. TR151579
Canterbury District
Peals
Sound clips below

There are 3 (formerly 4) towers with bells. Details for each can be found below:

Campanile Central Tower North West Tower South West Tower
Campanile
(formerly known as the Angel Steeple, rebuilt as Bell Harry Tower) (also known as the Arundel Tower) (also known as the Oxford Tower or Chicheley Tower)
Demolished
in 1650.
1 bell hung dead, "Bell Harry". A clock chime of 5 bells and the bourdon bell "Great Dunstan". A ring of 12 bells with 2 semitone bells.

SOUND CLIPS

The ring of 12 that hung in the Oxford Tower prior to the installation of the new ring in 1981. (212kB 9.86s)

OUTLINE HISTORY

1098 The first recorded bell was placed in the Campanile.

1316

3 small bells and a Chapter bell were put in the Arundel Tower.
3 bells were put in the Angel Steeple, shortly followed by 3 more smaller bells.

1343 The Campanile bells were augmented to 6.
1382 An earthquake damaged the Campanile and its bells.
1408 The Angel Steeple bells were replaced with a new heavier 5.
1430 Great Dunstan was cast and hung in the Oxford Tower. It was recast several times later in its history.
1433 The Arundel bells were transferred to the Oxford Tower.
The Angel Steeple bells were transferred to the Arundel Tower.
1499 5 bells and le Mariebelle were cast for the Oxford Tower by John Bayle.
1541 The Campanile bells were forfeited to the Crown.
c.1625 The Oxford bells were augmented to 6.
1635 The Arundel bells were augmented to 6.
c.1650 The Campanile was demolished.
1706 The Arundel spire was removed.
1726 The 6 Arundel bells were removed.
The 6 Oxford bells were sold to St Peter's, Sandwich.
A new ring of 8 was cast for the Oxford Tower by Samuel Knight.
1802 The Oxford bells were augmented to 10.
1832 The Arundel Tower was rebuilt to look match the Oxford Tower.
1923 The Oxford bells were augmented to 12.
1981 5 of the Oxford bells were transferred to the Arundel Tower together with Great Dunstan to form the clock chime. The remainder were scrapped and a new ring of 12 bells plus 2 semitones was placed in the Oxford Tower.